Solar Rebates For New South Wales For 2022
Solar panels can be a big investment but that does not mean you can’t install one at your home or business in NSW. Both federal and state government offers several rebates to help homeowners and businesses get easy access to solar energy and cut down their electricity bill.
Australian Federal Government Solar Rebate 2022
The federal government offers solar rebates for solar panel installations under the Small Scale Renewable Energy Scheme. According to the scheme, homeowners and small businesses receive financial incentives in the form of small scale technology certificates (STCs) that helps reduce the total cost of your solar panel installation by up to 33%.
STCs are tradable certificates that you can sell on the STC open market or STC clearinghouse. The number of STCs you receive depends on:
- The size of your solar power system
- The STC zone you live in
- Installation date
As of 2022, the value of an STC costs around $39. That means if you have purchased a 5kW solar panel system, you can expect a discount of around $2,420.
How To Apply?
To apply for the federal government solar rebate, you need to do the compliance paperwork to join the REC Registry, which is a little bit complicated. The best way to apply is to ask your accredited solar panel installer to do the paperwork for you.
NSW State Government Solar Rebate
The NSW state government offers solar rebates for homeowners through three programs.
1. Empowering Homes Program Solar Rebate
Through Empowering Homes Program, the NSW government provides interest-free loans to help homeowners get easy access to the solar battery system in the eligible postcodes.
The program offers:
- A $14,000 loan for a solar panel battery system— to be repaid over a range of terms up to 8 years
- A $9,000 loan for a retrofitted solar battery system— to be repaid over a range of terms up to 10 years
- Households with an income of no more than $180,000 per year
- Must own and live in the grid-connected home, and most importantly, have the authority to install the solar energy system
- Must satisfy the loan criteria
How To Apply?
- Get quotes by contacting several solar installers from the list of Clean Energy Council accredited installers
- Review the quotes and choose the best offer
- Go to the Accept Your Quote portal and enter the required details
Once the loan is approved, the solar installer you chose will contact you to install your solar battery system.
2. Low-Income Households Solar Rebate
The solar for low-income households provides eligible households with a free solar PV system of 3kWh. According to the NSW government, this plan could save households up to $600 per year.
- Only people who live in the eligible location
- Currently receiving the low-income household rebate and agreeing not to receive the rebate for 10 years
- Must hold a valid Pensioner Concession Card or DVA Gold Card
- Must own the house with n solar
How To Apply?
- You can apply online via the NSW Government Energy Saver Website.
To apply you will need:
- A Councils rate or notice or similar proof to confirm that you own your home
- A recent electricity bill to confirm you are receiving the Low Income Household Rebate
- A copy of your Pensioner Concession Card or Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card
Once approved, your accredited solar installer will organise a site visit and arrange for solar panel installation.
3. Solar Feed-in Tariff NSW
Solar feed-in tariffs allow you to earn money in exchange for the excess solar energy that you generate and send back to the grid. However, the amount of money you earn depends on your energy provider. In general, you can expect to earn anywhere between 7 c/kWh to 18 c/kWh, while some may not offer any. Compare the prices and choose the best deal.
Contact our team at Always Energy for further information on solar rebates and solar panel installation in NSW.